CCNA 1.6: Compare and contrast network topologies (Star, Mesh, Hybrid)
Using topologies to discuss networks simply helps us better visualize them. Network topologies help frame the conversation. A topology is the study of spatial relationships between parts. So when used in the context of a network topologies, it normally means the nodes and the links between them.
- Physical topology deals with cabling
- Logical topology deals with the logical path the signal travels on the physical topology.
- Today we primarily use a physical star with logical bus
- Bus: all devices connected to a single cable
- Ring: devices are connected to each other in a ring
- Star: think switch in the middle and end devices connecting to it
- Mesh: every device is connected to each other