CCNA 1.4: Describe the effects of cloud resources on enterprise network architecture (Cloud services, virtual services, virtual network infrastructure)
The exam guide wants you to understand the traffic path to internal and external cloud resources, services, virtual services and basic virtual network infrastructure
- Two physical servers will use twice the amount of electricity as one physical server, but with virtualization, one physical server can host multiple virtual machines. That means all components can be shared more efficiently to include power, storage and networking.
- Virtual infrastructure vs Cloud infrastructure
- Companies who offer cloud infrastructures are called cloud providers. You don’t really care about the underlying infrastructure, you just want to connect to their network and use the storage or applications. Think of Google Cloud or Amazon Web Services. It’s free to join AWS and you only pay for what you use.
- The benefits include Centralization, Automation, Virtualization, and Standardization
- An image might help: Content, Applications and the Virtual Infrastructure are in the cloud and the first two can be distributed to many different devices and locations.
- Infrastructure as a Service: Provides only the network (Cisco Powered IaaS - partners provide the networking, storage, HW and virtualization. Customer provides the rest.)
- Platform as a Service: Provides the OS and the network (Cisco ACI and Apprenda)
- Software as a Service: Provides the required software, operating system and network (Cisco Spark and WebEx)