The metric is a value produced by the routing protocol's algorithm. The metric value determines the best path to a destination network within a routing protocol.
- To determine the metric:
- RIP uses hop count
- EIGRP uses K values
- OSPF uses reference bandwidth
- Metric is used to compare routes to a destination by the same routing protocol
- Lower values indicate preferred routes
- In the diagram, RIP has 1 hop count to get to network 172.16.2.0/24. It's the 1 in [120/1].
- RIP has 2 hop counts to get to network 172.16.3.0/24 and 172.16.4.0/24. It's the 2 in [120/2].